You’ve got to love the feeling of putting on your apron, digging out the scales and producing a glorious, gluttonous baked beauty. Chocolate ganache, rich pastry, fluffy meringues, light sponges, whipped buttercream – it’s all great. Still need a little convincing? No problem:
1. It’s delicious – period
Warm buttery cookie dough, sugary goodness and gooey centres – don’t tell us you’re not salivating at the thought.
2. It’s therapeutic
Stressed? There’s nothing like taking your anger out on a whisk.
3. Popularity starts with all things sweet
Take some homemade puds into work and watch the crowds flock.
4. It’s a good way to get the kids in the kitchen
There’s nothing like the lure of sweet treats to get the little ones involved.
5. You can eat as you go along
Because no one will know if some of the chocolate icing went missing…
6. There’s something to suit every taste
Sponges, muffins, cookies, tarts, brownies… the list is endless. And you can decorate them how you like too.
7. All the coolest people bake
We meet Nadiya; trust us, she’s super cool.
8. Most recipes contain one of the best ingredients around – eggs
We like them a ridiculous amount – here’s why you should too.
9. The best TV programmes are all about baking
Don’t try and tell us that the Great British Bake Off isn’t up there on your list of favourites.
10. It fills your house with only good smells
Who needs scented candles when you’ve got freshly-baked goodies?
11. It magically changes shape right before your eyes
Science is cool, especially in your own kitchen.
12. It’s the heart and soul for a variety of occasions
Birthdays, weddings, a catch up with friends… you name it, bakes are there to lend a helping hand.
13. Everyone can do it
You don’t have to be a master chef to produce something delicious. In fact, follow our guide to help make baking a piece of cake.
14. It releases endorphins
They’re the hormones that make you feel good and you can never get enough of those.