- bones from a chicken carcass
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- ½ lemon, sliced (optional)
- handful parsley stalks
- handful thyme sprigs
- 4–6 black peppercorns
- Put the chicken bones, vegetables, lemon (if using), herbs, peppercorns and bay leaves in a medium pan and cover with 2.5 litres cold water.
- Bring the water to the boil and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and leave the stock to simmer for 2–3 hours, skimming when necessary.
- Pass the stock through a fine sieve and allow to cool for 30 minutes before storing in the fridge or freezing in portions.