- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 8 spring onions, sliced
- 110g plain flour
- 300g cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp spinneysFOOD Caster Sugar
- 150g spinneysFOOD Mature Cheddar, grated
- 4 spinneysFOOD Free Range Eggs
- 225ml milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp jalapeños from a jar, drained and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Grease and line a 22cm diameter cake tin or ovenproof frying pan.
- Melt the butter in a pan set over a medium heat. Add the spring onions and cook for 4-6 minutes, until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Put the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Season and whisk to combine. Stir in 120g cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and lemon juice, then add 3 tbsp jalapeños and the butter and spring onions. Carefully fold into the flour mixture until just combined – try not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin or pan and top with the remaining jalapeños and cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave the cornbread to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm with the chilli and pickled jalapeños.