- 100g butter
- ¾ tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 190g white bread, blitzed to fine crumbs and toasted until golden
- 80g dried figs, roughly chopped
- 35g flaked almonds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2.3kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1kg SpinneysFood Baby Potatoes, halved
- ½ bunch mint, finely chopped
- Put 75g butter in a pan set over a medium heat. Fry the fennel seeds for 1 minute, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, figs, almonds and lemon zest, then season.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Grease a large roasting tray.
- Lay the lamb on the tray skin-side down and cover with the stuffing. Roll up tightly and tie with kitchen string. Drizzle with oil, then season.
- Roast for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4 and cook for 1 hour 10 minutes for medium, or until done to your liking. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- About 20 minutes before serving, boil the potatoes in salted water for 12-15 minutes. Drain and toss with the mint and the rest of the butter, season and serve.