- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 15cm loose-bottomed cake tins with baking paper.
- Beat the softened butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then the vanilla bean paste.
- Fold in the self-raising flour and divide the mixture between the tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and well risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Use a serrated knife to level the top of 1 sponge, if needed. Spread with jam. Place the second sponge on top and dust with icing sugar.