- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ small green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp SpinneysFood Fine Cumin
- 1 x 400g can SpinneysFood Chopped Italian Tomatoes
- ½ tsp SpinneysFood Caster Sugar
- 4 SpinneysFood Free Range Eggs
- 75g feta, crumbled, to garnish
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley, to garnish
- small flatbreads, to serve (optional)
- Set a saucepan with the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and green chilli and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
- Tip in the aubergine, season well and cook for 10 minutes, until tender and golden all over. Add the garlic, paprika and cumin and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring continuously.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the sugar, bring to the boil briefly, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened. Season.
- Use a spoon to make 4 indents, carefully crack an egg into each one, then cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the whites are just set and the yolks slightly runny.
- Divide the shakshuka among bowls, garnish with the crumbled feta and parsley and serve flatbreads on the side, if you like.